Skip to main content

Weekly Journal - week 8

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week...

It's been a fairly quiet week.  We still spent some more time recovering and not playing outside.  I do have several that had fevers and coughs.  We are down to slighly stuffy noses and coughs.  At this point, I'm thinking we are headed into allergies instead of colds.  For myself, I have stuffy ears and a little bit of a stuffy nose.  I'm taking cold medicine - it seems to work well.  I don't like taking allergy medicine because it's too strong - it dries me out, no matter how much water I drink.  I might look into taking a child's dose - maybe get rid of the allergy symptoms without all the side affects.  Any thoughts?

We spent Saturday at the closest weekend Trade Days (remember last week was 1st Monday, now it's 2nd Monday Trade Days).  Still no kiln.  I did get some good deals on honey and several geography school books and 2 large boxes worth of 3 ring binders.  I'm pretty sure I won't need to purchase any for quite some time - if ever again.    We also found a gigantic abacus!  The kids, especially H love it!  Maybe now, the girls can get some work done?

In our homeschool this week...

We again had a lite week due to C still not functioning at full speed and Mama not feeling well.  S and A worked on Bible Bowl.  A had decided that she wants to sit in the audience again and answer the questions too.  So, she has started working through the worksheets I've made for Stephanie for review.  She's issued a challenge to the youth minister and one of the other parents - she's going to beat you again this year!!!  Last year, she answered several of the questions correctly while these 2 individuals missed them.

S has also been working on memorizing several piano pieces for Piano Guild and we worked a little on Math and typing and Copywork.
Places we're going and people we're seeing...

This week, we've been to the library and piano lessons.  We didn't make it to the Gospel meeting due to illnesses.  We also had a wonderful lunch on Saturday with a great couple from Katy.  They have moved close to us and it's always nice to visit with them.  LeeAnn is someone I can count on for anything and I know that when I call in the middle of the night or any other time too, she'll be there (and she has been especially this past year!)

My favorite thing this week was...

1) Having lunch with Kelly and LeeAnn
2) Having the 1st cookout of the season and watching H swing until she fell asleep!  I really like my house and backyard - if they were on 30 acres, I wouldn't be moving!

What's working/not working for us...

What's not working this week is the Wednesday afternoon trips to the library.  We started back because we needed to waste some time while our house was being shown and then S had to do a report for piano on Beethoven.  The 1st time we went, I noticed the sign on the door that talked about parenting classes offered by CPS.  Please don't misunderstand.  I think it's wonderful that these people are trying to improve and get their children back.  However, the problem we ran into this last visit was that the class was taking a break and there were about 10 pretty rough looking people standing just outside the library doors smoking and very loudly telling about their experiences with CPS and this particular class and how it's changed/the same as the last 4 times it was taken.  There was also a car loudly playing some pretty offensive rap music in the parking lot.  I'm thinking that maybe we should try before piano lessons?  It'll be right about the same time as the children's story time (Note to self - maybe H and Z would like to goto story time while the girls look for books) and hopefully the scary looking people won't be about.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...

We received our copy of IEW's TWSS and SWI-B this week and I'm excited about getting started again!  We are going to take this week and I'm going to watch the teacher DVD's to make sure I'm covering everything that needs to be done and then S and I will go through the SWI-B again from the beginning.  This time, she will do the work from their history texts until we get to the point where we left off.  Then, we'll take our time and she'll do the book worksheets and then the history texts. 

I've also realized that we only have 7 weeks left in our normal school year!  I've checked everything and we are on track to finish it!  Yeah!!!  I've also started working on our summer schedule - swim lessons, VBS, swim lessons, Day camp at the Cotton Museum/Audie Murphy Museum, and a little bit of school work!

I've included Bible, writing, math, geography, and Spanish.  We will have all day Monday's, except for VBS week, and several full weeks later in the summer.  I'm thinking that Astronomy might be a good summer science course.  We'll have just returned from the Texas Star Party and S will be working on her Sky Puppies certification.  They will all mesh very well.


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Texas History Tour - Texas Independence - Washington on the Brazos

 Because of all the construction on I35, it was recommended to us to travel across Central TX and use I45 instead.  So, on our trip down to San Antonio, we went north of College Station.  We decided on the way home, to go south of BCS and stop at one last history spot - Washington on the Brazos, where Texas Independence was declared.  (It's was also a nice distance from Goliad and a great stopping point for lunch) The original monument next to Independence Hall This state historic site also incorporates the etched windows.  Probably because of all the trees, these etched windows are easier to see.  We walked down the side streets of town and went down to the Brazos River.  There were lots of pretty flowers and some wild grapes along the trail. Our first glimpse of the Brazos River Here's the area where traders along the river would land and bring their cargo/passengers. Pecan tree that was here during the Texas Revolution We enjoyed the break from ridi...

Texas History Tour - Spanish influence - Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo

 After a late lunch, we decided to visit the middle mission - San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo .  It was the largest mission and the one that is most well preserved, being designed a work area for the WPA in the 1930's.  They have done a wonderful job of recreating ruins and painting original colors.  There were also some architecture dig sites this summer.  Unfortunately, being a Sunday, we didn't get to meet any of the student workers.  We did however, get to visit with the park rangers, who had just recently returned to work and the park store was open as well. Mission San Jose was founded in 1720 along the San Antonio River.  It came to be the largest mission on the area with roughly 300 Indians living on the grounds.   "it's a giant turtle with a hole in the back" It's really an outdoor oven. It's a very pretty mission setting. We also saw several wells and cisterns and lots of arches, angles, and other geometric shapes.  Love the c...

Texas History Tour - Spanish influence - Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga

 On the grounds of Goliad State Park is Mission Nuestra Senora del Espiritu Santo de Zuniga o.  For this visit and our visit to Presidio la Bahia, we deviated from normal Texas afternoon behavior and visited both - in the heat!  Why?  Because mosquitoes aren't as numerous in the heat of the afternoon! Mission Espiritu Santo was where the CCC applied all they learned at the visitors center across the road.  Most of the buildings have been restored/reconstructed and several are used as museums.   The brickwork that we saw from the visitors center and many samples of the colors they re-created.  Spanish culture was very vibrant! We also saw many examples of geometric shapes - shaped windows, rolled arches, built-in wall basins with rounded fronts. "Pirates lived here!" ~ R This mission had many textile operations here - weaving, dying, basket making.... Looks like the window seat we saw at the visitors center. This appears to be ruins of a building....